10.14.2011

Grace, You Amaze Me


Kristine called 440.ten.dril last week to ask me to write a song about her grandmother, Grace. In her voicemail she directed me to a tribute that she had written on her blog, a drop in the bucket. The tribute begins with a quote from the book of proverbs. Here's a part of it below...
"Her children arise and call her blessed." --Proverbs 31:28
At age 103, she is clearly something special. But we knew she was special long before she reached a milestone age. No one can make biscuits like Grandmama or hug like Grandmama  or smell as yummy as Grandmama. Her name, Grace, suits her perfectly, because it is with grace that she handles everyone and everything that comes her way, including my grandfather's longtime battle with Parkinson's Disease. I will never forget the strength she showed during those difficult years. (He died in 1990.)

She has four grandchildren, and while we have always felt we were the center of her world (if we wanted it, Grandmama stopped at nothing to give it to us), as the years have gone by, she has become the center of ours. She is the sun that we orbit around. 
Grace is clearly and amazing person, and I was so happy to have an opportunity to write a song for her and her family.

You can listen to the song here.

3 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. Now people are looking at me as I pretend I've got something in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! What a great idea for a song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the song. Everyone loves it. I can't wait to post it on my blog, but I have two cousins who still need to hear it (and I want to be with them when they do). It's just perfect . . . and so catchy. My sister has a co-worker that constantly hums it while she works. Thanks again for giving us this special keepsake.

    Kristi (sorry it sounded like Kristine on the phone. Blast this southern accent!)

    ReplyDelete